Morristown Alumnae Chapter of
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc
Over thirty years ago, the seed of a dream was planted. That dream was to provide members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., living in the western part of New Jersey, a medium to come together in renewed sisterhood and to provide an opportunity to dedicate themselves to community service closer to home. Through diligent work, enthusiasm and perseverance, that dream has evolved into a strong chapter, Morristown Alumnae, which has been recognized locally and at the state and national levels.
Fourteen women came together in late 1986 at the home of Samaria Tillman and mapped the strategy to charter a new branch on the Delta family tree. With the sponsorship of the Montclair Alumnae Chapter, the Morristown Alumnae Chapter was chartered March 27, 1987, with fourteen charter members. It became the sixteenth chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority in the state of New Jersey. The chapter presented itself to the Morristown community on July 26, 1987, at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum, Morris Township, New Jersey.
Since its humble beginning, Morristown Alumnae has grown as sorors have affiliated with the chapter upon relocation to the area or have come out of semi-retirement. The chapter experienced its first significant increase in membership with the induction of sixteen dynamic ladies. To date, five more groups of impressive individuals have been inducted into the chapter.
With public service as the cornerstone of the organization, Morristown has sponsored and involved itself in numerous activities designed to enrich and improve the lives of residents of the Morristown area. Among them:
- Reader Leaders in the School America Literacy Program
- Scholarship Fundraisers
- Thanksgiving Basket Canned Food Drives
- Community Health Fairs
- Voter Registration Drives
- DELTEEN and Delta GEMS, Academy and EMBODI Youth Groups
- Heritage Dedication to the Morris School Board
- Hostesses at the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Interfaith Breakfast
- Financial Donations to Community Churches and Public Service Organizations
- Book Parties and Art Shows Featuring African American Artists
- Volunteers at Jersey Battered Women's Service
- Hosts of Hampton University Concert Choir
- Senior Citizens Project
- Volunteers at the Community Theater
- Volunteers at the Morris County Homeless Shelter
- Commemorating our History through Project Cherish
- Volunteers for Habitat for Humanity Project
- Volunteers for the Eric Johnson House for HIV/AIDS
In addition, the chapter provides annual scholarships and honoraria to deserving Morris County youth pursuing higher education.
The Morristown Alumnae Chapter is proud of its contributions to date and looks forward to many more years of dedicated service to Morristown and the surrounding communities as it continues to carry out the mission of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.